About Senator Gregory
Michigan State Senator Vincent “Vince” Gregory graduated from Dundee Public Schools and attended Washtenaw Community College before enlisting in the military. He is a proud Veteran having joined the Marine Corps in 1968 and attained the rank of Corporal. Vince admirably served in Vietnam from Thanksgiving Day, 1969 to Thanksgiving Day, 1970. He received an honorable discharge from the Marine Corp in April of 1971.
In 1973, Vince Gregory joined the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department, where he achieved the ranks of Corporal and Detective. After ten years with the Department, Vince was elected as Vice President of the Wayne County Sheriff’s Local 502 SEIU, AFL-CIO. He was elected President of the local in 1993, and held that position for the next seven years. In January, 2003, Vince retired from Wayne County Sheriff’s Department after 30 years of distinguished service.
In 1998, Vince Gregory ran successfully in a special election for Oakland County Commissioner in the 21st District ~ a position he held for ten years. Vince served on numerous committees during his tenure with the Commission, including General Government, Public Service, Planning and Building, Parks and Recreation, Vice Chair of the Airport Committee and the Democratic Commission Caucus, and Minority Vice Chair of the Finance and Personnel Committees.
Vince enrolled in the “Return to Work” Program at Madonna University ~ keeping a promise he made to himself twenty-seven years earlier that he would complete college. In 2007, Vince proudly obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice ~ an accomplishment he diligently sought and successfully achieved ~ attaining yet another milestone to possess his bachelor’s degree before seeking the office of State Representative.
In 2008, Vince ran for State Representative for the 35th House District and received the highest number of votes of any State Representative candidate in the Michigan House of Representatives — 41,000 votes. After serving one term in the House of Representatives, Vince Gregory was elected to the Michigan Senate in 2010. He served on the Senate Appropriations Committee and was a member of the Sub-Committees of the Departments of Community Health, Human Services and State Police and Military Affairs. He was also Minority Vice-Chair on the Senate Families, Seniors and Human Services Committee and Minority Vice-Chair of the Veterans, Military Affairs and Homeland Security Committee. Senator Gregory was selected from among his peers in the Senate Democratic Caucus to serve as Associate President Pro Tempore and Democratic Caucus Whip. He also served as a member of the Michigan Law Revision Commission ~ a Joint Senate and House Committee.
In 2014, Vince Gregory waged a successful campaign for a second term in the Michigan Senate. Notably, he is recognized as receiving the highest number of votes in the State Senate – with over 73.17% of the vote or 70,862 votes. For the 98th Legislature beginning in January, 2015, Senator Gregory was appointed to serve as Minority Vice Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee, and is the Minority Vice Chair of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on the Department of Health and Human Services, Capital Outlay and the Department of Corrections. He also serves on Government Oversight and the Senate Fiscal Agency Governing Board. In addition, Senator Gregory was elected from among his colleagues in the Senate Democratic Caucus to serve as Assistant Minority Caucus Chair. He is a member of the Legislative Auto Caucus and the Michigan Legislative Black Caucus (MLBC), where he served as the MLBC Historian for the 2015-2016 term. He was recently elected 1st Vice Chair for the 2017-2018 term.
Senator Gregory is married to his wife of over thirty years, Yvonne, and they reside in Lathrup Village, Oakland County, Michigan. The Gregory’s have six adult children ~ Lawrence, Troi, Vanessa, Cortney, Kristen, and Vincent Jr. (deceased), and nine grandchildren ~ Lawrence “Jay”, Kelsey, Elijah, Caiden, Eric, Caleb, Kaylin, Reagan and Kaylie.
Senator Vincent Gregory is a champion for legislation, policies and programs that positively impact veterans, children and youth, and senior citizens and the disabled on issues such as decent and affordable housing for individuals and families, quality education for every Michigan student, business growth and development, increased job creation and increasing the minimum wage, and affordable health care for all citizens of the Great State of Michigan.
Awards, Recognitions and Commendations
- Michigan Legislative Black Caucus, Service & Dedication Award, 2011-2012
- National Kidney Foundation of Michigan, Champion of Hope Award, 2012
- Michigan Association of Counties, Legislator of the Year Award, 2012
- Michigan Association of Health Plans (MAHP), Legislator of the Year Award, 2013
- Michigan Alliance for Lead Safe Housing, Outstanding Leader Award, December, 2013
- Michigan Muslim Council, Certificate of Appreciation Award, May, 2013
- Specialty Equipment Market Association, State Automotive Enthusiast Leadership Caucus, 2013
- Civil Air Patrol, Michigan State Legislative Squadron, January, 2013
- Civil Air Patrol, Certificate of Appreciation, June, 2013
- Civil Air Patrol, Michigan Wing Legislative Squadron, Recognition of 2 Years of Support, April, 2014
- Ready Nation Leader, December, 2014
- Military Leader for Kids, Mission Readiness Star Award, Washington, D.C., December, 2014
- Fight Crime, Invest in Kids, Crime Fighters Award, December, 2014
- Shepherding the Next Generation, Fellowship & Stewardess Award, December, 2014
- Champions for America’s Future, Mover & Shaker Award, December, 2014
- Award of Appreciation, American Legion, Department of Michigan Veterans; State Commander, James Wallace and State Adjutant, Patrick Lafferty, December, 2014
- Southeast Oakland Coalition (SEOC), Partnership & Service to Prevent Substance Abuse Recognition Award, January, 2015
- Certificate of Participation, “Take Your Legislator to Work Campaign,” The Michigan Developmental Disabilities Council, October, 2015
- 2016 Public Official of the Year Award, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Michigan Chapter
- Michigan Developmental Disabilities Council, Certification of Participation, Take Your Legislator to Work Campaign, October 2016
- Food Bank Council of Michigan, Hunger Solutions Council, Certificate of Appreciation, 2017-2018
- Civil Air Patrol, Recognition of 5 Years of Support as Member of the Michigan Wing Legislative Squadron, 2017