Flooding Updates & Resources

Applying for relief from the flooding

Please take photos of any flooding damage in your home so that you can use them when you file a claim.

Detroit Water & Sewerage Department

FEMA Disaster Assistance

FEMA Deadline Extension 

It is not too late to apply for flooding assistance from FEMA or the SBA. The deadline has been extended to  November 12, 2021.

To apply for FEMA relief by the November 12 deadline, go to https://www.disasterassistance.gov/.

Wayne County Flood Assistance Grants:

Governor Whitmer recently  announced the allocation of $10M in grants for flooding assistance. Wayne County is offering financial assistance for residents outside of Detroit impacted by the June 2021 flooding. Funding will support residents in covering damages and costs that have not been covered by FEMA or private property insurance. This grant is intended to cover the costs of tangible goods and belongings such as carpets, couches, drywall, and food. Additionally, this grant may be used to cover contracted labor if the applicant can provide itemized quotes or receipts from their contractor.

The application will open on Sept. 7, 2021 and will be closed on Sept. 24, 2021.

Eligibility requirements include:

Applicants will be required to submit the following:

This application is for Wayne County residents who need assistance completing repairs or replacing items damaged during the June 25-26 weather events. Funds will be used to cover items which have not or will not be paid for by FEMA or other property insurance. Application to the FEMA assistance program is a prerequisite to qualify for this program, and ONLY applicants with registered applications with FEMA will be considered.

To apply for this program, please visit:


MDHHS Emergency Relief

Small Business Administration disaster loans – for small businesses and residents 

Great Lakes Water Authority Claim Form


United Way for Southeastern Michigan: call 2-1-1 if you need assistance.  

American Red Cross: If you are in immediate need of help, you can contact the local Red Cross at (313) 833-4440 

Aside from the rain, the heat and humidity are also an issue, especially for those who lose power.  If you need help staying cool, please visit the Detroit Health Department website at detroitmi.gov/health or call the Detroit Health Department at (313) 876-4000. 

DTE: To report a power outage or a downed powerline, you can call DTE’s 24-hour phone number at 800 477-4747 or report online at DTE Outage Center

Department of Insurance and Financial Services

Attorney General: Towing Rights

If you or a loved one are stranded on a freeway or other roadway during a flooding event, please call 9-1-1 for help. Law enforcement encourages you to call and ask for help once and not call again for an ETA due to the heavy volume of calls. 

Additional tips that may be helpful 

Preparing for a Flood  

During a Flood  

Driving in Flood Conditions  

Thank you for reading this update. Please share this information and do not hesitate to reach out if we can help in some way. 

Stephanie Chang 
State Senator 
District 1 

More news:

Upcoming Coffee Hours, Legislative Update, and Resources Sens. Chang, Moss Introduce Bills to Protect Residents during Elevator Outages Upcoming Coffee Hours, Legislative Update, and Resources

Subscribe to my e-newsletter!

Sign up to be the first to know what I'm doing to build a thriving community and fight for you.

First Name is required

Last Name is required

Email Address is required

Zip Code is required

We take your privacy seriously. View our Privacy Policy.