Greetings Friends and Neighbors,
Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving! This is a holiday to reflect with gratitude the blessings we may have — no matter their size. Hopefully, you are having a safe and happy holiday with your family, friends and loved ones, however you choose to celebrate.
As we move into the winter months and the holiday season, there are a few safety tips to remember.
For fire safety:
- Cooking fires are the number cause of house fires. Be sure to supervise the kitchen at all times and keep flammable items away from stove tops and other heating & cooking sources.
- Christmas trees can also be a fire hazard. If you have a live tree make sure it has plenty of water and is placed three feet from any heat source. For artificial trees make sure they are labeled “fire resistant” and read the directions on all holiday lights. Be especially aware of strung lights, extension cords and daisy-chained lighting.
- Do not leave any burning candles unattended, especially around young children. Make sure candles are at least one foot from flammable materials.
- Check driving conditions and traffic before heading out.
- Stock an emergency kit in your vehicle equipped with a snow brush, first aid kit, vehicle emergency supplies (e.g. jumper cables), flashlight and batteries, portable phone charger, warm clothes, nonperishable foods and drinking water.
- Do not leave your car running in a closed garage.
- Do not use a gas range or oven to heat your home.
- Do not use a generator in an enclosed space.
- Don’t forget to have your fuel-burning appliances and chimney serviced annually.
- Remember: carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, use a monitor to detect when it is present.