Constituent Services


Unemployment Assistance

Click here for help with unemployment


For assistance with the Department of Health and Human Services, please download this form, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services AUTHORIZATION FOR RELEASE OF INFORMATION, and email it to our office at

For assistance with the Department of Treasury, please download this form, Authorized Representative Declaration (Power of Attorney), and email the completed form to our office at

Rent Relief Information

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) is offering COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA) for those in need. This program is administered through a network of local non-profit agencies. CERA provides rental and utility assistance to eligible renter households so they can retain their housing stability. 

CERA can serve renter households that have incomes less than 80% of Area Median Income (AMI) who meet the following conditions:

CERA rental assistance is based on household income. Qualified renters can receive up to 12 months of rental assistance, 3 months of which can be used for future rent assistance. Tenants may also apply for an additional 3 months of rental assistance, if necessary, for housing stability. 

CERA can also provide utility assistance for qualified households for electricity, home heating (any type of fuel), water, sewer, and trash (if billed along with another utility). Utility payments are based on household size. Tenants with an AMI of less than 50% are also eligible for additional assistance. CERA also provides a flat $300 Internet stipend for those with home Internet paid to either the tenant or their Internet service provider. 

Apply by visiting the MSHDA website and using their online portal OR at your local service agency listed below.  

Washtenaw County Agency:
The Salvation Army
9:00 – 5:00pm Monday – Friday
100 Arbana Dr
Ann Arbor 48103
(734) 961-1999
Full program details and more information on how to apply can be found at

Join the Free At-Home Testing Challenge

Washtenaw County Health Department, CDC, and the NIH are collaborating to facilitate access to free, rapid, at-home COVID-19 test kits for Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti households. Test two times a week to help protect your family and our community.

Child Tax Credit

Earlier this year, President Biden signed the American Rescue Plan into law, which significantly expanded the Child Tax Credit and created a new monthly benefit for families across the country.

The expanded CTC makes several changes to the Child Tax Credit. Most importantly, it allows 17 year olds to qualify, increases the credit to $3000 dollars per child($3600 for children under 6), and distributes the benefit monthly. This breaks out to $250 a month for those from ages 6-17, and $300 a month for children under the age of 6.

Who is eligible?

Almost every household with a child under age 18 qualifies for the expanded tax credit. More information about the specifics can be found at the link here.

How do I get the monthly benefit and can I get it yearly?

You can choose whether to receive the payment monthly, or in one lump sum after filing your 2022 taxes, using the IRS portal linked here. If you opt to receive the payment monthly(which is also the default if you do nothing), you should start receiving it by direct deposit or paper check directly from the IRS.

Childcare resources

Access to quality and affordable child care continues to be a large issue for many Washtenaw county families. While I recently supported a supplemental budget bill that provided $105 million for increasing reimbursement rates for child care providers, I have included some resources below for families who need more immediate help.

Child Development and Care program(CDC) through MiBridges:

The Child Development and Care Program, which you can access by registering for MiBridges at the link above, may be able to provide payment assistance for childcare needs. While the eligibility for the program is listed below, you will want to register and create an account to see

what other programs you may be eligible for. To do this, you simply need to click the “register” button at the top of the page, fill in your information, and follow the prompts to complete it.

Eligibility Requirements for the CDC

If you have any more specific questions about eligibility, for you view the link on the website directly here, or view the more detailed program manual here.

Where to find Childcare Providers:

Great Start to Quality:

Washtenaw County Resources for Youth and Families:

The Child Care Network:

Ann Arbor Observer list of Washtenaw County Resources:

COVID-19 Resources:

Where can I get a COVID-19 test?

Testing is available from local health care providers, pharmacies, and urgent cares, according to state criteria. If you have a health care provider, contact them about testing or see the information below.

Saliva Testing with LynxDx in Ann Arbor

LynxDx offers drive-thru testing for COVID-19. Tests are contactless and saliva-based (no nasal swabs required). This site tests people of all ages. Testing is available with or without insurance or symptoms.

Pre-registration is required: Once you pre-register, you will be directed to schedule a time/date for your test. Please bring your driver’s license or state-issued ID card and insurance card, if you have one.

Results are sent to your phone or email within 48 hours. If you haven’t received an email with your results within 72 hours or have questions about this site, please email Please do not contact the Health Department for results from this testing site.

More Ongoing Testing Sites

COVID-19 Vaccination

To find out where to get the vaccine in Washtenaw County follow this link:

Additional Information

Covid-19 Vaccine Update Video

Severe Storm Resources:

Subscribe to my e-newsletter!

Sign up to be the first to know what I'm doing to build a thriving community and fight for you.

First Name is required

Last Name is required

Email Address is required

Zip Code is required

We take your privacy seriously. View our Privacy Policy.