Senator McCann Email Banner

Dear Neighbor,  

I hope this newsletter finds you well. Below are resources from the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) and the Attorney General’s office that may be helpful to you in this time of clean-up and recovery.  

I continue to appreciate the great work of our first responders, volunteers, and neighbors who helped those who were injured or experienced damage from the May 7th events. I am continuing to work with the Governor, FEMA, and local officials of the areas impacted on how my office can best assist at this time.  

As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to my office for assistance. You can email me at or call 517-373-5100.   


Senator McCann Signature

Sean McCann
State Senator
19th District


Insurance Resources from DIFS 

The Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) has provided the following content to guide you through initiating insurance claims.  

“After the Disaster” (see below) provides helpful tips on how to initiate the claim process. It’s important to note that insurance companies will only provide benefits for damages as a result of a covered loss. Review DIFS’ Homeowners section and the declaration page of your policy to ensure that you understand the type of policy you have.  

After the Disaster 

  • Contact your insurance agent or your insurance company’s toll-free claims number as soon as possible. Keep a record of the time, date, topic and name of the person you talk to every time you call (Insurance Tracking Sheet). 
  • As a policyholder, you have the obligation to make temporary repairs as needed to prevent further damage. For example, a hole in the roof should be covered by a tarp or other material to keep water or other weather elements out. Further damage may not be covered by insurance if temporary repairs are not completed. Keep receipts for materials you buy so you can be reimbursed. Do not make permanent repairs until your insurance company has inspected the damage. If you do, your claim might be denied. 
  • Take pictures, if possible, of the damage. 
  • Start making a list of all personal property destroyed or damaged. Note the approximate date, price, and place of purchase and attach any sales receipts you have. The adjuster will request this information. In addition, the insurance company may want to inspect the damaged items, so do not throw anything away. 
  • Ask your insurance agent or company if your policy covers living expenses until repairs are made to your home. Many homeowners’ policies provide for temporary lodging and meal expenses up to 20 percent of the insured value of your home. 
  • If you own a business ask about business interruption coverage, which will help cover a loss of income a business may suffer while the damage is being repaired. 
  • Your insurance company may have a preferred contractor or repair facility list. You are not obligated to use their suggestion and have the right to choose whoever you feel comfortable using. 
  • A “public adjuster”, or a person licensed by the state, may offer to represent you in claim negotiations with your insurer. Public adjusters will seek part of your settlement as payment for their services; however, their fee cannot exceed 10% of the loss settlement amount.  You are not required to hire a public adjuster to file a claim.

Filing a Complaint With DIFS   

The Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS) Office of Consumer Services is here to help you. They provide consumer information and investigate consumer complaints related to insurance, banks, credit unions, mortgages and other consumer financial products. If you believe the amount of time regarding your claim is unreasonable, you may consider filing a complaint with DIFS:  

Consumer Protection with Attorney General 

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel is reminding residents to watch out for common after-the-disaster scams as several municipalities in West Michigan are dealing with cleanup and damage following severe weather. As communities continue to address the issues that arise from downed trees, power losses, and other storm damage, please be wary about common scams that often follow after disaster strikes.  

Attorney General Nessel encourages impacted residents to always take the following steps when they’re ready to start rebuilding and before signing any contracts or placing deposits:  

  • Get in touch with your insurance company   
  • Speak to a local licensed professional 
  • Review credentials and references 
  • Get more than one written estimate 

Attorney General Nessel’s Government Imposter Scams consumer alert educates Michigan residents on ways bad actors may try to take advantage of people who are cleaning up after severe weather and reminds residents that imposters may claim to be anyone ranging from a government official to your local power or insurance provider.   

In particular, criminals will contact consumers and tell them they have been selected to receive government funding to assist with repairs, or that if they pay an early deposit, they may receive priority standing for needed repairs. In order to receive the alleged benefit, the person will be asked to share personal or bank information. 

The AG’s Disaster Scams consumer alert provides information on how to identify and stop other common post-disaster scams.  

The Better Business Bureau is also a helpful resource for researching local companies and contractors when navigating repairs and cleanup.  

While tree services are not licensed, it’s important that consumers vet them as thoroughly as other contractors and request written quotes outlining the total project cost before signing any agreements. This will help consumers avoid potential price gouging and other predatory business practices, especially during emergencies.  

Another common scam following severe weather is the Disaster Relief Charity Scam.  AG Nessel encourages residents who want to help to use the following tips to ensure they are giving wisely:   

  • Be wary of messages from unknown organizations. Give to organizations that are well-known for providing disaster relief.    
  • Avoid social media ads raising money for victims. If you wish to give online, use the charity’s website instead of going through an unknown link.   
  • Research the charity and find out if they are registered to receive money (solicit) in Michigan.   
  • Don’t be pressured. Genuine charities give you time to decide when and what’s right for you.    
  • Be careful when charities claim you have given to them in the past, especially if you don’t remember donating.    
  • Avoid alleged charities that ask for alternate forms of payment. Real charities never ask for wire transfers, gift cards, or other non-traditional payments.   
  • Donate to trusted charities even if you don’t receive a new offer. 

If you have any concerns and fear that you are experiencing price gouging or efforts from bad actors, please file a complaint with the Attorney General: 

Consumer Protection Team: Online complaint form  
P.O. Box 30213 
Lansing, MI 48909 
Phone: 517-335-7599 
Fax: 517-241-3771 
Toll free: 877-765-8388 

Your connection to consumer protection is just a click or phone call away. The Department provides a library of resources for consumers to review anytime online on a variety of topics. Nessel’s consumer alerts, which cover a wide range of topics, can also be found directly on the Department’s dedicated consumer protection site. To report extended power outages or inquire about overdue outage credits, the Department provides a Power Outage Feedback and Inquiry form for all residents.   

Additional Resources 

Residents within Kalamazoo County needing shelter or other resources are encouraged to contact 2-1-1 Legislators – Michigan 2-1-1 ( for assistance and support. Meanwhile, non-emergency calls should be directed to 269-888-8911. 

Another valuable resource is the American Red Cross of Southwest Michigan. They serve Allegan, Calhoun, Cass, Berrien, Branch, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph and Van Buren counties. They can be contacted at (269) 353-6180.  

We Are Here to Help You!  

If you have any questions or additional assistance, please contact my office. We want to do our best to help you during this difficult time. You can email me at or call 517-373-5100.