Applying for relief from the flooding

Please take photos of any flooding damage in your home so that you can use them when you file a claim.

Detroit Water & Sewerage Department

  • If you live or own a business in Detroit and have experienced flooding because of the rain on August 10th, call Detroit Water and Sewerage Department at (313) 267-8000 and fill out this form to file a claim. You must file this claim within 45 days of when the overflow or back up was discovered.
  • This form can also be printed and mailed to:
    Office of the General Counsel
    735 Randolph, Suite 901
    Detroit, MI 48226

FEMA Disaster Assistance

  • 4607 | 
  • 1-800-621-FEMA or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free numbers operate from 7am to 9pm. 
  • Disaster Recovery Centers:
    • Kemeny Recreation Center, 2260 S. Fort Street in Detroit:
      Open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET everyday, except Sunday
    • Salvation Army 3000 Conner Street DETROIT, MI 48215:
      Open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET everyday, except Sunday

FEMA Deadline Extension 

It is not too late to apply for flooding assistance from FEMA or the SBA. The deadline has been extended to  November 12, 2021.

To apply for FEMA relief by the November 12 deadline, go to

Wayne County Flood Assistance Grants:

Governor Whitmer recently  announced the allocation of $10M in grants for flooding assistance. Wayne County is offering financial assistance for residents outside of Detroit impacted by the June 2021 flooding. Funding will support residents in covering damages and costs that have not been covered by FEMA or private property insurance. This grant is intended to cover the costs of tangible goods and belongings such as carpets, couches, drywall, and food. Additionally, this grant may be used to cover contracted labor if the applicant can provide itemized quotes or receipts from their contractor.

The application will open on Sept. 7, 2021 and will be closed on Sept. 24, 2021.

Eligibility requirements include:

  • The property for which you are applying for must be located in Wayne County (*not including the City of Detroit)
  • The property must be a residential property
  • The damage applicants document and submit to this grant must be due to the June 25 & 26 weather events
  • Applicants must have applied for FEMA assistance to qualify for the Flood Relief Grant funding

Applicants will be required to submit the following:

  • Proof of Residence
  • FEMA Application Number
  • Pictures of Damaged Belongings
  • Insurance Claim Documents (if applicable)
  • Itemized Quote and/or Receipt for Contractor Work (if applicable)

This application is for Wayne County residents who need assistance completing repairs or replacing items damaged during the June 25-26 weather events. Funds will be used to cover items which have not or will not be paid for by FEMA or other property insurance. Application to the FEMA assistance program is a prerequisite to qualify for this program, and ONLY applicants with registered applications with FEMA will be considered.

To apply for this program, please visit:

MDHHS Emergency Relief

  • Immediate help may be available if you are facing conditions of extreme hardship or emergencies threatening your health and safety. State Emergency Relief and the Weatherization Assistance Program combine financial assistance and contracts with a network of nonprofit organizations to help low-income households.

Small Business Administration disaster loans – for small businesses and residents 

Great Lakes Water Authority Claim Form

  • If you have sustained property damage or injuries from a sewer backup event within the last 45 days and believe GLWA is responsible for your damages or injuries, click here for GLWA’s claim form.


United Way for Southeastern Michigan: call 2-1-1 if you need assistance.  

American Red Cross: If you are in immediate need of help, you can contact the local Red Cross at (313) 833-4440 

Aside from the rain, the heat and humidity are also an issue, especially for those who lose power.  If you need help staying cool, please visit the Detroit Health Department website at or call the Detroit Health Department at (313) 876-4000. 

DTE: To report a power outage or a downed powerline, you can call DTE’s 24-hour phone number at 800 477-4747 or report online at DTE Outage Center

Department of Insurance and Financial Services

Attorney General: Towing Rights

If you or a loved one are stranded on a freeway or other roadway during a flooding event, please call 9-1-1 for help. Law enforcement encourages you to call and ask for help once and not call again for an ETA due to the heavy volume of calls. 

Additional tips that may be helpful 

Preparing for a Flood  

  • Create an emergency preparedness kit with a 72-hour supply of water, including three gallons per person.   
  • Scan and store important documents on an online, cloud-based program.
  • Put important documents and valuables in a water-proof container on the top floor of your home.   
  • Understand how to safely turn off electricity and gas lines in your home.    
  • Create an inventory of your household items and take photos of the interior and exterior of your home.   
  • Consider installing sewer backflow valves to prevent flood water from backing up into your home through drainpipes.   
  • Double-check sump pumps to ensure they are working properly. If possible, have a battery backup system. 
  • Keep materials like sandbags, plywood, plastic sheeting and lumber handy for emergency waterproofing.   
  • Find out how many feet your property is above and below flood levels. When predicted flood levels are broadcast, you can determine if you may be flooded.   
  • Rise or flood-proof heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment by elevating equipment above areas prone to flooding. Another method is to leave equipment where it is and build a concrete or masonry block flood wall around it.   
  • Anchor fuel tanks. Unanchored fuel tanks can be easily moved by floodwaters.   

During a Flood  

  • Turn off utilities if instructed to do so. Disconnect all electrical equipment.   
  • Do not walk-through moving water. Six inches is enough water to knock you down.   
  • Do not drive in flooded areas. Six inches of water can cause you to lose control and two feet of water can sweep away your car. Remember: Turn around, don’t drown.   
  • Listen to local media reports for information about if the water supply is safe to drink.   
  • Avoid contacting flood waters because they can be contaminated by hazardous liquids and may contain sharp debris.   
  • Report and stay 25 feet away from downed power lines.   

Driving in Flood Conditions  

  • Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and stalling. A foot of water will float many vehicles.   
  • Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including sport utility vehicles (SUVs) and pickups trucks.   
  • Do not attempt to drive through a flooded road. The depth of water is not always obvious. The roadbed may be washed out under the water, and you could be stranded or trapped.   
  • Do not drive around a barricade. Barricades are there for your protection. Turn around and go the other way.   
  • Do not try to take short cuts—they may be blocked. Stick to designated routes.   
  • Be especially cautious driving at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.   

Thank you for reading this update. Please share this information and do not hesitate to reach out if we can help in some way. 

Stephanie Chang 
State Senator 
District 1