Constituent Services


Unemployment Assistance
MDHHS and MI Treasury Help

For assistance with the Department of Health and Human Services, please download this form, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services AUTHORIZATION FOR RELEASE OF INFORMATION, and email it to our office at

For assistance with the Department of Treasury, please download this form, Authorized Representative Declaration (Power of Attorney), and email the completed form to our office at

Mortgage, Rent and Utility Assistance

The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) is offering assistance for homeowners, renters and landlords who are behind on mortgage, rent and utility payments through the Michigan Homeowner Assistance Fund (MIHAF) and the COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA) programs.

MIHAF Application

Homeowners can apply for the MIHAF program here, but before you start please make sure you have all necessary documents and information. You can find what documents and information you’ll need here.

Who Is Eligible?

    • Homeowners with household incomes less than 150% of Area Median Income (AMI)
    • Homeowners who own and occupy the property as their primary residence
    • Homeowners must have and explain a financial hardship directly related to COVID-19 on or after January 21, 2020.

Up to $25,000 Grant Per Household to Pay:

Eligible households can receive a grant worth up to $25,000 to help them pay:

    • Delinquent mortgage/housing expenses, including property tax and insurance escrow shortages
    • Delinquent land contract payments, mobile home consumer loan payments or mobile home park lot payments
    • Delinquent property taxes
    • Delinquent condominium/homeowners’ association fees
    • Delinquent homeowner’s insurance,
    • Delinquent utilities, gas, electric, water, sewer
    • Delinquent internet broadband services


Home Heating Credit

If you need help with your energy bill, you can now apply for the Home Heating Credit.

Low-income, deaf, disabled or blind persons, disabled veterans and senior citizens may qualify for the Home Heating Credit. Applicants are not required to file a Michigan individual income tax return to receive the credit.

Individuals can apply for the Home Heating Credit electronically through the e-File system.

Forms and instructional materials are available on the internet at or by calling 517-636-4486.

Other Energy and Utility Assistance Programs

We have numerous utility shutoff protection programs and programs that will help you afford your utility bills during the winter. These programs range from bill payment assistance to assistance winterizing your home. Check out our list of these programs here.

Alzheimer’s Help

Helpline – 1 (800) 272-3900

The Alzheimer’s Association has a free 24/7 helpline that enables you to get the information you need, or a listening ear when you need it, no matter where you are! It’s accessible in more than 200 languages, and provides confidential support, education and referral services to individuals seeking information about Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.

You can also email for information and support. Visit for more information, and resources.

Alzheimer’s Association Offices

The Alzheimer’s Association has offices in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Marquette, Midland, Muskegon, Okemos, Southfield and Traverse City. Here are their locations:

      • Upper Peninsula Office – 1229 W. Washington. Street, Marquette
      • Northern Michigan Office – 921 W. 11th St. Suite 1W, Traverse City
      • Central Michigan Office – 801 Joe Mann Blvd. Suite P#9, Midland
      • West Shore Office – 549 Seminole Rd. Suite 103, Muskegon
      • West Michigan Office – 4081 Cascade Rd. SE Suite 400, Grand Rapids
      • Capital Area Office – 2111 University Park Dr. Suite 200, Okemos
      • Metro Detroit Office – 25200 Telegraph Rd. Suite 100, Southfield
      • South West Office – 200 Turwill Ln. Suite 6, Kalamazoo
COVID-19 Vaccine Info

The COVID-19 vaccine is available for free through the Washtenaw County Health Department (WCHD). The WCHD has an ongoing vaccination site at 555 Towner in Ypsilanti. Appointments are necessary. You can request the Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

If you are unvaccinated and unable to schedule an appointment, please contact the WCHD so they can prioritize getting you fully vaccinated. Call them at 734-544-6700 or email us at

Please check the WCHD website for more info about additional doses for immunocompromised people:

Booster Shots

The WCHD is offering Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson booster doses at the clinic at 555 Towner in Ypsilanti. They ask that you please bring your vaccination card and identification, if possible.

COVID-19 Testing

Free At-Home COVID Tests

Thanks to President Biden, all Americans can get free at-home COVID tests through the federal government or through their health insurance.

Get your free at-home COVID-19 tests here:

At-home COVID tests are also now covered by private health insurance and health plans. They are required to cover 8 free over-the-counter at-home tests per individual per month. That means that a family of four can have 32 at-home tests covered per month.

Also, make sure to only buy FDA-approved tests as they’ve been vetted for accuracy and you won’t get caught in a scam. You can see the list of approved at-home tests here.

Where can I get a COVID-19 test?

Testing is available from local health care providers, pharmacies, and urgent cares, according to state criteria. If you have a health care provider, contact them about testing or see the information below.

For additional testing sites across Washtenaw County, and our state, visit the WCHD’s website here:

Statewide Testing Locator

Saliva Testing with LynxDx in Ann Arbor

Lynx XD has drive-thru saliva PCR testing sites in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. For both sites pre-registration is required: Once you pre-register, you will be directed to schedule a time/date for your test.

More Ongoing Testing Sites

    • CVS is offering no-cost drive-thru testing at 4 area locations in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. Testing now available for everyone 3 years and older. With or without symptoms. No out of pocket costs/free.  Make an appointment here. Bring a photo ID.
    • Rite Aid is offering free drive-thru testing at multiple local pharmacies. Testing is available for anyone age 4 and older, with or without symptoms. The testing sites utilize PCR simple self-swab nasal tests, overseen by Rite Aid pharmacists. Testing is by appointment only: schedule at Individuals ages 4-17 may access testing with a parent or legal guardian’s consent. If both parents and a minor (4-12 years of age) need to receive a test during the same period, two separate accounts linked to different email addresses must be used. Additionally, a parent or legal guardian must be in attendance and bring their photo ID to the minor’s testing appointment (they define minor above as 4 -12; however, anyone 17 and under must be supervised). A prescription from a doctor or health care provider is not required to receive the COVID-19 test. Bring a photo ID.
    • IHA currently offers both PCR and rapid antigen COVID-19 testing at many Urgent Care and Pediatrics locations. Testing open to those with symptoms of COVID-19, high-risk exposure to an individual with COVID-19 or return to school, work or travel reasons. Appointments required. See locations and schedule here.
    • Ascent Urgent Care at 140 South Industrial, Saline 48176 has no-appointment needed COVID testing Mon-Fri 9am-12pm, and appointment needed COVID testing Mon-Fri 1pm-5pm and Sat-Sun 10am-4pm.
    • Michigan Medicine Laboratories (MLabs) offers testing to all ages for pre-procedural, symptomatic, and COVID exposure indications. Testing is performed Monday – Wednesday, Friday: 8:00AM – 6:00PM, Thursday: 8:00AM – 4:00PM and Saturday: 8:00AM – 12:00PM. Drive-through testing is not offered at this location, but parking is free. Located at KMS Building at 700 KMS Place in Ann Arbor. Individuals or business can call 734-539-5111 for appointments. Same day appointments are available. Insurance accepted. No cost without insurance.
    • NextCareat 3280 Washtenaw Ave, Ann Arbor 48104 is offering rapid COVID-19 Testing onsite, as well as antibody testing for SARS-Cov-2 (COVID-19) at this location.
    • Prognify Urgent Care at 4563 Washtenaw Ave, Ann Arbor 48108 is offering Rapid, Molecular (PCR), and Antibody COVID-19 tests. COVID-19 testing for anyone who meets Michigan’s expanded testing criteria. You can book an appointment on their website.
    • See Michigan Medicine’s website for their testing information.
    • Walgreen’s at 2355 Jackson Ave. in Ann Arbor is offering no-cost testing to those 3-years-old and older, with or without symptoms. See website to schedule appointment.
    • Ypsilanti Urgent Care Walk-In Clinic at 301 W. Michigan Ave., Ste. 100, Ypsilanti 48197 is offering no cost COVID-19 PCR and rapid testing, and antibody testing with insurance.
    • Medical Care Oneat2539 E. Ellsworth, Ypsilanti 48197 has walk-in, no appointment needed rapid antigen, antibody, and saliva COVID-19 testing.
Advanced Child Tax Credit

Earlier this year, President Biden signed the American Rescue Plan into law, which significantly expanded the Child Tax Credit.

The expanded CTC allows 17-year-olds to qualify, increases the credit to $3,000 dollars per child ($3,600 for children under age 6), and distributes the benefit monthly. This breaks out to $250 a month for those from ages 6-17, and $300 a month for children under the age of 6.

Who is eligible?

Almost every household with a child under age 18 qualifies for the expanded tax credit. More information about the specifics can be found at the link here.

How do I get the monthly benefit, and can I get it yearly?

You can choose whether to receive the payment monthly, or in one lump sum after filing your 2022 taxes, using the IRS portal linked here. If you opt to receive the payment monthly (which is also the default if you do nothing), you should start receiving it by direct deposit or paper check directly from the IRS.

Childcare Resources

Access to quality and affordable childcare continues to be a large issue for many Washtenaw county families. While I recently supported the $1.4 billion investment in childcare in our state budget, I have included some resources below for families who need more immediate help:

Child Development and Care (CDC) through MiBridges:

The Child Development and Care Program, which you can access by registering for MiBridges at the link above, may be able to provide payment assistance for childcare needs. While the eligibility for the program is listed below, you will want to register and create an account to see what other programs you may be eligible for. To do this, you simply need to click the “register” button at the top of the page, fill in your information, and follow the prompts to complete it.

If you have questions about eligibility, click here. If you want a more detailed program manual click here.

Where to find Childcare Providers:

Great Start to Quality:

Washtenaw County Resources for Youth and Families:

The Child Care Network:

Ann Arbor Observer list of Washtenaw County Resources:

Veteran Resources

The State of Michigan provides scholarships and tax assistance to both current and former military members. Current and former military members may be eligible to for these programs:

    • Military Pay Tax Exemption: Military pay is exempt from Michigan tax, including military retirement benefits and exit and separation pay.
    • Children of Veterans Tuition Grant: This program provides undergraduate tuition assistance to the children of Michigan veterans who were totally and permanently disabled, missing in action or died while serving. Students may receive scholarship assistance for up to four academic years for a total of up to $11,200.
    • Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemption: A property tax exemption for real property used and owned as a homestead as outlined in state law.
    • Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) for Active Duty Military Personnel: Property owners can retain a PRE while on active duty if their property is rented or leased.
    • Property Tax Relief during Active Military Service: Property owned by a serviceperson cannot be sold to pay delinquent property taxes during a tour of active duty.
    • Summer Property Tax Deferment: A serviceperson, veteran or widow or widower whose income outside of military compensation is no more than $7,500 per year may be eligible for a summer property tax deferment.
    • Federal Military Spouses Residency Relief Act: The spouse of an individual in the military may not be subject to the state’s taxation if they are a nonresident of the state, the service member is present in the state due to military orders, the spouse is solely in the state to accompany the service member, and the spouse maintains a domicile in another state. This act was amended in December 2018 to alternately allow military spouses to elect the same state of domicile as their service member spouse, even if they are not present in that state.
Washtenaw County Emergency/Help Lines

Ann Arbor Police Department 301 E. Huron St. Ann Arbor, MI 48104 Information Desk: (734) 994-2875 Anonymous Tip Line: (734) 996-3199 Non-Emergency: (734) 994-2911

Pittsfield Police Department 6227 W. Michigan Ave. Ann Arbor, MI 48108 Non-emergency: (734) 944-4911

Ypsilanti Police Department 505 W. Michigan Ave. Ypsilanti, MI 48197 Information & Anonymous Crime & Drug Tip Line: (734) 483-9510

United Way 211 United Way 211 provides information about referrals to human services, for everyday needs and in times of crisis. Phone: 2-1-1 Website:

Ozone House Provides emergency shelter and other needs to homeless teens or young people in conflict with their families. 24 Hour Crisis Line: (734) 662-2222 Website:

Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office 2201 Hogback Road Ann Arbor, MI 48105 General Info (734) 971-8400 Non-Emergency: (734) 973-4911

Psychiatric Emergency Services (U of M Hospital) If you need help ASAP, this is the place! Serving the residents of Washtenaw County. 1500 E. Medical Center Dr. Reception: Emergency Medicine Phone: (734) 936-5900 Website:

Suicide Prevention Hot Line: (734)-544-3050