I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to share some updates from Lansing with you as well as wish you all a pleasant Memorial Day weekend.
As always, if you need anything, please do not hesitate to reach our office at https://senatedems.com/klinefelt/contact/ or by phone at (517) 373-7670.
House Bill 4199 passed through the House and Senate with bipartisan support and was signed into law by the Governor last week. MINGSTAP is a state-funded tuition assistance program that pays for the tuition costs and eligible fees of Michigan National Guard service members. This legislation would increase the funding cap from $10 million to $15 million as well as allow for the transfer of benefits to the spouses and dependents of eligible service members.
Blue Star Mother’s Day
The Michigan Senate Veterans and Emergency Services Committee passed Senate Bill 235 to establish February 1 as Blue Star Mother’s Day in Michigan. The bipartisan bill is cosponsored by Chair Sen. Veronica Klinefelt and now moves to the full Senate for consideration. Blue Star Mothers offer support for the many mothers, stepmothers, grandmothers, foster mothers and female legal guardians who have children serving in the military, guard or reserves, or children who are veterans and this bill acknowledges their service to our state and nation.
Senator Klinefelt joined our Congressional Delegation, along with state leaders at Selfridge on May 15th for the groundbreaking of a new Aircraft Hanger.
Our Constituent Relations Director, Christopher Ford, had the pleasure of attending the Congressional Delegation (CODEL) Staffers Breakfast, where he was able to engage with members of the Michigan Military Coalition and the Detroit Arsenal. Our office looks forward to engaging in this space to support Selfridge and the Defense industries in District 11.
Christopher also attended the Optimist Club International Respect for Law Luncheon in Clinton Township to honor the brave men and women of the Clinton Township Police Department and to discuss police relations and de-escalation of situations.
WHEN: Monday, June 5, 2023, at 10 am
WHERE: Recreational Authority of Roseville & Eastpointe, 18185 Sycamore St, Roseville, MI 48066
WHEN: Friday, June 16, 2023, at 10 am
WHERE: Fraser Public Library, 16330 14 Mile Rd, Fraser, MI 48026
Special Joint Coffee Hour with Senator Hertel
WHEN: Friday, June 23, 2023, at 11 am
WHERE: Clinton-Macomb Public Library, 40900 Romeo Plank Rd, Clinton Township, MI 48038
WHEN: Monday, July 17, 2023, at 12:30 pm
WHERE: Peace Manor, 17275 Fifteen Mile Rd, Clinton Twp, MI 48035
Project Health – CVS
No-cost, no-catch health checkups. Select stores, most Thursdays–Sundays.
From blood pressure readings to mental health assessments, they are here to support your whole health. Learn more about offerings here.
Date Time Location (CVS Pharmacy, unless otherwise noted)
- Thursday, June 1, from 2 – 6 pm, 15455 Gratiot Ave, Detroit, MI 48205
- Friday, June 2, from 2 – 6 pm, 15455 Gratiot Ave, Detroit, MI 48205
- Sunday, August 6, from 11 am – 3 pm, Covenant Missionary Temple, 28491 Utica Rd, Roseville, MI 48066
- Thursday, August 10, from 2 – 6 pm, 15455 Gratiot Ave, Detroit, MI 48205
- Friday, August 11, 2 – 6 pm, 15455 Gratiot Ave, Detroit, MI 48205
Michigan Public Service Commission: Help with Home Energy Bills
Help is available for Michigan households struggling with home energy bills. The MPSC’s one-stop webpage on utility assistance is at www.michigan.gov/mpsc/gethelp.
Residential utility and propane customers in financial distress can contact their utility for help or seek assistance by calling 211 or applying for State Emergency Relief.
Comcast RISE is committed to supporting the growth of all small businesses, while advancing the objective of diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as community investment. The program is built to help businesses and their communities thrive with a focus on economic growth. This year, Comcast RISE will award 500 recipients in five cities with a grant package that includes business consultation services, education resources, monetary grants, creative production, media, and technology makeovers.
- 500 awards will be distributed as follows:
- 100 small businesses in each city
- Each business will receive:
- $5,000 monetary grant
- Creative production, media, and technology makeovers
- Education resources
- Business consultation services
- Application period is June 1 – 30, 2023
- Grants will be announced at the end of August and awarded in September 2023
- Applications will be available online here.
- Businesses must be established for three or more years,
- Have 100 or less full-time or part-time employees,
- Independently owned and operated,
- Be in the following geographic locations:
- Detroit (Macomb County, Oakland County, Wayne County, Washtenaw County)
- Loss of home
- Mental health
- Thoughts of self-harm
- Stressful life events
- Recent loss
- Chronic pain
- Legal challenges
- Substance use self-harm
- Email: SERV@voami.org
- Phone: (877) 509-VETS (8387) Option 1
- Website: voami.org/serv